The Royal Navy’s HMS Richmond on route from Plymouth Sound.

The UK has sent a warship to the Red Sea to replace another vessel, per the Ministry of Defence.HMS Diamond needs repairs and resupplies after three attacks by Houthi rebels, the MOD said.HMS Richmond will take command of the UK’s mission in the region, supporting US operations, it added.

The UK Ministry of Defence said that one of its warships was being replaced in the Red Sea after it suffered three separate attacks by Houthi rebels.

The HMS Richmond will replace the HMS Diamond in the waters, the ministry announced in a press statement on Tuesday.

HMS Diamond has been stationed in a “high-threat area” in the Red Sea almost continuously since joining Operation Prosperity Guardian, an international task force, in December, it said.

The task force’s mission was to safeguard merchant ships in the area.

The destroyer reportedly took part in several key US-led operations, including repelling the “largest attack” by Iran-backed Houthis to date last month, as well as destroying a drone targeting merchant shipping in December.

But the vessel “came under fire in three separate attacks by Iranian-backed Houthi rebels, successfully destroying nine drones using her world-class Sea Viper missile system and guns,” the MOD said.

The statement did not specify the extent of the damage to the HMS Diamond.

Its commander, Peter Evans, said in the statement that the focus will be on “a short maintenance and ammunition resupply period before we get back to our mission in the Red Sea.”

Meanwhile, HMS Richmond will assume command of the UK’s operation in the Red Sea.

According to the statement, it is equipped with medium guns, machine guns, small arms, torpedoes, and a Royal Marines boarding team, as well as a Wildcat helicopter that can monitor large regions and target “hostile” threats with Martlet anti-ship missiles.

“I am confident that HMS Richmond will carry on her impressive work,” Defense Secretary Grant Shapps said, per the statement.

The Pentagon initially announced Operation Prosperity Guardian as a 10-country task force.

But according to Brian Raymond, a retired US Navy SEAL officer and international security expert, the kind of operation underway in the Red Sea is “not a long-term fix.”

He told Business Insider in January that there should be “larger engagement” and “negotiations” in the region to stop attacks on merchant vessels.

In a video address on Tuesday, Yahya Saree, a military spokesperson for the Houthi movement, said they will carry out military operations against the US and UK until Israel’s siege of Gaza is lifted.

Read the original article on Business Insider

By

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: